Sunday, May 22, 2011

quinoa, I barely know her!

Quinoa is somewhat of a mystery to me, but I've learned how to use it to my advantage.


It's a grain that is PACKED with protein; as a vegetarian, I have to get my protein wherever I can find it.


Tonight's dinner was quickly thrown together. I never know what I'll feel like eating (or cooking). I saw my infrequently used box of quinoa in the pantry and figured it was time.


Tools of the trade.



I put my own spin on the recipe on the box, so it may not be to everyone's liking. There are a million different things to do with this nutty grain, though, so I'm sure there's a variation for everyone.


What you need:



  • 1 cup of quinoa
  • 2 cups of liquid (water or vegetable stock)
  • 1 handful of chopped celery
  • 1 clove of chopped garlic
Put everything into a medium-sized sauce pan and bring to a boil. As soon as it is boiling, reduce it to a low heat (one of the first settings on your stove will do) and cover with your pan's lid.

Wait 10 to 15 minutes, checking to see if the quinoa has soaked up all of the stock. Believe me, it will all be soaked up.

Once the stock has been absorbed, go ahead and serve!

Fluffy and delicious. And lots of leftovers.

I wanted a side dish to go with this, but stopped myself from reaching for some yummy Publix bread. Quinoa isn't a heavy grain, but it's a carb all the same. So I grabbed something light, instead!

Works for me!

Don't be afraid to try quinoa, folks! It's fast and easy - also, delicious!


**NOTE** The celery ended up being a little undercooked and tasted very celery-y, so maybe cook the celery and garlic together in another saucepan before starting this whole dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment