Friday, June 3, 2011

salad! the DIY way

Many moons ago, my dad and I would make our own salad dressings. We didn't do it too often, but it was a really fun way to experiment with flavors and use ingredients you might normally use.


I've been trying to eat more fruits and veggies lately (c'mon, health!), so for lunch today I thought I'd make my own salad + dressing.


Sami's "Vinaigrette" Dressing:


I didn't use any proper measurements, just sort of eyeballed what I poured into a small mixing bowl and whisked together.

  • About a teaspoon of honey mustard.
  • Two tablespoons of balsamic vinegar.
  • A dash or two of blueberry infused red wine vinegar. (I'm almost positive no one else even has this. I don't know why we do, at this point.)
  • A good tablespoon of soy sauce.
  • Two teaspoons of honey (I used clover honey).
  • A couple pinches of sugar, to taste.
At the last minute, I cracked in some pepper. Along the way, it's so important to taste after almost each step. One ingredient can completely change the entire dressing, so you might have to compensate with a little more of something else. I originally wasn't going to include any sugar, but it was pretty tart.

In order to have more fruits and veggies all in the same meal, I sliced up one orange and two large strawberries to toss in with a salad mix.

Stir together, and enjoy! As you can see, I enjoyed the salad before I could snap any photos. I suggest you do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment