Friday, June 24, 2011

break me off a piece of that bur-ri-to

With my weird metabolism, I'm generally not hungry for dessert like I used to be.


How sad is that, right? Especially when I could use a daily dose of sweet and/or chocolate.


So for breakfast, I tend to have something sweet (like PopTarts, bagels, etc); this morning, I ended up having a slice of cake. My mom baked the cake last night and I made the chocolate frosting from scratch (using the recipe on Hershey's website), so it was PAINFUL not to be able to enjoy it last night.


Let me tell you, cake for breakfast is genius.


But for lunch, I figured I should make up for my culinary indiscretion with something at least a little healthy.


I haven't had much protein lately, something important to a vegetarian's diet. Hence I created a lightly fried burrito. Think of a soft taco made crunchy.


Bouncing Bean Burrito:



What You'll Need:

  • Tortillas
  • Refried beans
  • Tomatoes
  • Lettuce
  • Cheese
  • 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
Your burrito can be filled with anything, but just make sure not to overstuff them. That's why I didn't include any measurements in the recipe; it's up to you!

How to Cook:
  • Heat up your refried beans in a pan on low-medium heat. Be careful not to burn the beans.
  • While they're heating up, prepare the rest of the filling. I chopped one roma tomato, used a handful of romaine lettuce and a sprinkle of cheese.
  • At this point, heat the oil in a frying pan on medium heat (about a 6 on the stovetop).
  • Assemble your burrito! Spread a couple of spoonfuls of bean around (evenly) on a tortilla, then add the other filling choices. Fold the bottom of the tortilla and wrap like a burrito.
  • Fry for roughly two minutes on each side, or until it is golden brown.
  • Top with salsa or sour cream and enjoy!
I don't like seeing oil in/on the food I eat, so I dabbed off what little excess was left on the burritos before eating. I also ate these with a knife and fork, so you might want to do the same.

Super yummy and nutritious!

No comments:

Post a Comment