Friday, August 5, 2011

necessity is the mother of invention

Earlier this week, I made these peach bars from How Sweet It Is. If there is one thing you make all summer, it needs to be these peach bars.


I used about three or four peaches for that recipe, but I had one left over. So I had to come up with something to use up this peach and maybe even a few strawberries. 


I ended up making Peach Strawberry Shortbread. Delicious! I'm traditionally not much of a baker, so trust me when I say this recipe was easy. 


What You'll Need:
Crust:

  • 1 C. flour
  • 1/4 C. sugar
  • 1/2 C. butter
Topping:
  • 1 peach, sliced
  • small handful of strawberries, sliced
  • a blackberry jam/preserves
How to Cook:
  • Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a pie tin with a non-stick baking spray.
  • Mix the flour and sugar together in a bowl, just with a spoon.
  • Measure out your butter and leave it out for a few minutes so that it's a little soft - not fresh from the fridge. Once soft, cut/spoon into little cubes or pieces and mix into the flour mixture.
  • Combine the flour mixture and butter together until combined; it will look very crumbly - that's what you want. Just try to make sure everything is fluffily mixed together.
  • Press the dough into the pie tin. This is when it will actually look like dough and when I stopped being confused about it. It may try to stick to your hands, but that just means you can probably stop pressing it.
  • Spread enough jam/preserves to cover the entire crust. I used a blueberry-blackberry jam that I made, but basically any dark preserve will work.
  • Place your sliced peaches and strawberries on top.
  • Bake for around 35 minutes. Remove, let cool, enjoy!

It took a lot of guesswork to know when it was done baking; the shortbread won't turn crispy brown on top like a normal pie crust might. (For reference, I used the shortbread recipe from here). Check after 25 minutes to see how much longer you'll need, but I suggest 35-40 minutes in the oven.

This shortbread turned out great, I think! The crust was moist and dense, but still crumbly like a shortbread; the jam was maybe a tad sour for this recipe, but store-bought won't be.

No comments:

Post a Comment